Wednesday, September 1, 2010

So Jealous

As a child, one of my favorite movies was The Little Mermaid. My sister and I would have contests in the pool to see who could best swim like a mermaid; the winner got to pretend to be Ariel and the loser was a nameless mermaid friend or sister. I constantly sang the songs from the movie around the house, to my family's annoyance. However, I think what most captivated me was the ability of the animators to draw sparkles. I practiced hours upon hours, trying to draw sparkles, specifically the sparkly dress that Ariel wears at the end of the movie. 


I love that dress and have always wanted a pale sparkly dress all my own. To this day, I have yet to master the art of sparkle drawing and do not own a sparkly dress.

All of these memories resurfaced the other day when I was watching the Emmy Awards.  I am watching Ryan and Julianna's painfully awkward red-carpet coverage and what did I see...


Claire Danes in a Ariel-esque sparkly dress!  I would never wear that dress; I don't think I will ever go anywhere that requires such formal attire but I still want it! Although, I like Claire Danes much more now. I imagine that she also loves The Little Mermaid and chose that dress for the same reasons that I would have.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, it's so strange that you mention both The Little Mermaid AND Claire Danes because..........

    1) I saw this little girl (probably 4 yrs old) in the subway a short time ago singing "Part of your World" PERFECTLY. Even the little asides like "what they called? Oh yeah, legs." It was creepy.
    2) My friend saw Claire Danes at the gym like two weeks ago and said she did the elliptical for AT LEAST 2 hours and she looked super scary skinny.

    I don't mean to dash your dreams regarding mermaids and sparkly dresses, but just FYI.

    ReplyDelete