Monday, December 20, 2010

Ah College Memories

I am still working on my M.Ed. writing. Not even close to being done.



I decided to try a little writing music. I opened iTunes and randomly selected a Genius mix. It turned out to be mostly The Postal Service, which I have not listened to in forever. Suddenly, I had the most vivid memory of a Campus Events Commission retreat in Big Bear. The Postal Service happened to be very big at that time, especially with hipster crowds like the CEC. Naturally, there were 30 of us staying in a cabin that was intended for 9 at the most (but when they calculated that number they didn't include floor space and other sleepable surfaces like pool tables...poor college students are so resourceful). On that particular trip my unit director decided that it would be great for team bonding if we all slept in the same room. Three people slept on the full bed and the rest of us slept on the floor around the bed. My sliver of the room was so narrow that if I laid on my back,  half of my body would be actually under the bed. In all, there were about 8 of us squeezing into that tiny bedroom. Thankfully no one had to pee in the middle of the night or it would have been like a large-scale version of those tile puzzles-- the ones where you have to slide all the tiles around to get a single piece from one side to the other without removing any. Oh memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment